Prunes and Prism

RULES FOR YOUNG LADIES: Some arch advice on snagging a husband. Exercising the mouth into a pretty shape through repetition of certain words seems to have been an indoor sport for young nineteenth-century girls; in Little Dorrit, Charles Dickens' overly bred girl repeats, "papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism." (Merrycoz.org)

Thursday, December 15, 2005

(Up Against) The Fourth Wall

I interviewed Lili Taylor today! She's just as thoughtful as you want her to be, and speaks in eloquent, fully formed quotes. She worries about teenage girls.

Your humble narrator could not resist asking what she thought about the fate of her character on Six Feet Under -- didn't it seem unlikely that Lisa Kimmel Fisher (the way we had come to understand her) would have had an illicit affair with her dopey brother-in-law back in Coeur d'Alene, only to die at his hand? I know, I heard the words leaving my mouth and I tried to run after them, but there they were, having dislodged from my brain and fallen out like gumballs from a machine. And besides, I wanted to know.

Well, gentle reader, she said that she hadn't really kept up with Lisa after she went missing. She didn't go to the read-throughs after that, and people told her what happened on the show but she hadn't really watched. In fact, she does not own a television.

I'm afraid there's a lesson here, and I plan to stop my ears up and sing until it goes away. Why do I care more passionately about Lisa than the person who lived between her ears for three seasons (plus the one epi in season 1)? I mean, it's almost like TV characters are made up by people who get paychecks.

So maybe I should stop talking about them in therapy and think about something else. Like the plight of teenage girls!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home