Prunes and Prism

RULES FOR YOUNG LADIES: Some arch advice on snagging a husband. Exercising the mouth into a pretty shape through repetition of certain words seems to have been an indoor sport for young nineteenth-century girls; in Little Dorrit, Charles Dickens' overly bred girl repeats, "papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism." (Merrycoz.org)

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Better Than the Movie

I've just finished the new book from Joyce Carol Oates (the writer so prolific that she may not in fact be a writer at all, but a head in a jar). It's set in the suburbs of upstate New York, and I realized that while I was reading the parts that take place in the narrator's mother's house, I was picturing the first suburban house I grew up in. I was six; it was a two-story brick house on a corner lot. Then I realized that whenever I read a book about suburbia, I picture it happening in that house. Does anybody else do this?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes!
yours,
the humorless feminist

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home