Prunes and Prism

RULES FOR YOUNG LADIES: Some arch advice on snagging a husband. Exercising the mouth into a pretty shape through repetition of certain words seems to have been an indoor sport for young nineteenth-century girls; in Little Dorrit, Charles Dickens' overly bred girl repeats, "papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism." (Merrycoz.org)

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Mistress of No Grand Schemes

Dear Readers, Angry John Sellers may be full of free-floating rage, but he's got a heart o' gold! The recent posts are in a sidebar now, and I have a blogroll! He told me what to do, and I did it, and then the Comrade came in and advised me to do some more stuff AJS had already suggested, and it worked. Two sticks together, and -- fire!

(I must admit, I feel grateful but also sheepish. I know it doesn't take a Y chromosome to work the Internets, so why can't I act like it? And did I sit on my couch two weekends ago reading In Style while the Comrade dislocated a shoulder blade assembling our new kitchen cart? I did, friends. I did.)

It sounds like I'm due for another seminar in Deconstructing Feminist Ur-Texts. (Incidentally, that book I couldn't remember last post is Alix Kates Shulman's Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen, published in 1969.)

Anyway, thanks so much, Angry John Sellers, for your help. It's worth a price above rubies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home